First lets take a look at:
"Polymer clay is essentially PVC, polyvinyl chloride. It is plastic, but until it is cured, it is a very malleable plastic. It can be shaped and reshaped a multitude of times without deterioration." "Yes, polymer clay is certified as a non-toxic product. However, there are a few important guidelines that most people who use polymer clay follow. First, don't eat it and don't give it to children who are too young to be trusted not to eat it. (Even if it is certified non-toxic!) It is also recommended that you not use cured polymer clay as an eating utensil, food bowl, etc. Because cured polymer clay is porous, it would be impossible to clean it sufficiently to prevent bacteria from growing in/on it. For the same reason that you shouldn't eat polymer clay, it is suggested that you use only clay-dedicated tools with it. That means that if you use a kitchen knife or cutting board with polymer clay, you shouldn't use it again with food. Instead, dedicate it for use with polymer clay and other craft purposes."
As you can see from the above polymer clay is not safe to be put into your mouth. Lets see what we fine from yet another site.
Next lets look at:
"Dishes made from polymer clay are not suitable for eating from, and cured polymer clay should not come into contact with food, in general. Cured polymer clay is too porous to be sufficiently cleaned after contact with food. These pores can act as a breeding ground for bacteria and other nasty things that you wouldn't want to mingle with your next meal off of that polymer clay plate. So just don't do it. Reserve your polymer clay pottery for display or other uses that don't involve food."
As you can see again do not put baked clay into your mouth.
So lets look at one more of many:
"If Polymer Clay is non-toxic, why then, you might ask, can't you put food in a Polymer Clay bowl? Well, let me tell you it has a lot more to do with the food than the clay. The inert baked clay is not going to poison you. Polymer Clay is not a food grade plastic mainly because it is very porous. You cannot clean it well enough to insure no little bugs are going to grow in leftover food.
People naturally assume that a material that is not food grade is somehow dangerous. This is not always the case. While there are some materials -- some pottery, for example, contains lead in the earth clay -- that are in fact dangerous in and of themselves, Polymer Clay is not one of them. Polymer Clay's story is that it simply doesn't sanitize well."
Now for the reason that you can not properly clean the clay when you get food, saliva or anything on the clay it should never be put directly into the mouth. You can judge for your self if you want to take the risk of getting bacteria into your mouth from putting clay into your mouth. For a business to tell you that you can put the clay into your mouth safely is false. All makers of polymer clay in every brand weather it be sculpy, fimo or others tell us not to put the clay into our mouth.
For the reasons above I will never make a drip tip where the clay enters your mouth in-order to use the tip. I hope I have shed a bit of light on the situation. I encourage each and every one to research more into this so you can make an informed decision on the products you use on a daily bases.
AZ Desert Creations